Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of Saint Sava
20 West 26th Street
New York, NY 10010
Architect: Richard Upjohn
Originally built as a chapel for Trinity Church as New York's population grew northward. As the neighborhood subsequently declined, the structure was sold to the Serbian Orthodox church in 1942 and became the Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of Saint Sava. Sava was a Serbian prince and the first Archbishop of the Serbian Church. The church was destroyed by a fire on 1 May 2016 that was likely caused by incompletely extinguished candles from the Easter service earlier in the day.
Next: Trinity Baptist Church