St. Michael's Episcopal Church
225 West 99th Street
New York, NY 10025
St. Michael's Church was estblished on this location in 1807 in a simple white frame building with a belfry. The church expanded rapidly over the next half century and spawned at least six sister congregations around the city. The original building burned in 1853 and was quickly replaced with a larger wooden building.
By the 1880s, the second building had become inadequate and Robert W. Gibson (1854-1927) was hired to design this Romanesque and Byzantine structure that includes a 1,500-seat sanctuary. It was built with rough-hewn Indiana limestone and dedicated in December, 1891. In 1895, Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848-1933) was commissioned to design and install the seven great lancet windows representing St. Michael's Victory in Heaven. A parish house was added in 1902 and St. Jude's Chapel was added in 1921.
The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and the New York State Register of Historic Places in 1997, but does not have landmark status or protection.