Lighthouse Park

Lighthouse Parks sits on the north tip of Roosevelt Island, just north of Bird S. Coler Hospital and is named after a 50-foot-tall, gray gneiss, Gothic-style lighthouse that was built on the tip of the island in 1872. It was not an official Coast Guard lighthouse, but was commissioned by the city to steer river traffic navigating the trechers waters of Hell Gate away from the island. The lighthouse was designed by James Renwick, Jr., who is also responsible for the Smallpox Hospital on the south end of the island and St. Patrick's Cathedral in Manhattan. The Lighthouse was decommissioned in the 1940s, designated a city landmark in 1975, and partially restored in 1976, with an anonymous grant permitting completion of the restoration in 1998. (reference)

Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:19 PM
Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:19 PM
Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:21 PM
Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:21 PM
Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:22 PM
Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:23 PM
Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:23 PM
Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:23 PM
Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:24 PM
Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:24 PM
Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:27 PM
Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:27 PM
Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:28 PM
Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:28 PM
Lighthouse Park
5/14/2008 03:29 PM