Strecker Laboratory / City Hospital

Romanesque revival Strecker Laboratory building by architects Frederick Withers and Walter Dickson was constructed in 1892 as a facility for pathological and bacteriological research. The building was the gift given in the memory of a Mr. Strecker by his daughter. The facility closed in 1958 and lapsed into decay. It was landmarked in 1975 and restored in 2000. (reference)

The rubble surrounding the Strecker Lab is what is left of City Hospital (aka Island Hospital and Charity Hospital), designed by the firm of Renwick & Auchmuty (who also designed the Smallpox Hospital) and completed in 1861. At it's peak, the massive structure served 8,000 patients. The city closed the hospital in 1957, although as late as 1972, the building was reputedly still in fairly good shape. However, arson and vandalism ultimately left the unguarded building little more than a shell and after a long, futile struggle by preservationists for landmark status, what was left of the building was finally demolished in 1994. (reference)

City Hospital-strecker Laboratory
5/14/2008 04:24 PM
City Hospital-strecker Laboratory
5/14/2008 04:24 PM
City Hospital-strecker Laboratory
5/14/2008 04:24 PM
City Hospital-strecker Laboratory
5/14/2008 04:25 PM