Municipal Asphalt Plant

655 East 90th Street at FDR Drive

40.779084, -73.943801

The Municipal Asphalt Plant is a post-modernist parabolic arc designed by Ely Jacques Kahn and Robert Allan Jacobs that opened in 1944. Kahn and Jacobs are also notable for the American Airlines terminal at Kennedy International Airport and their designs have cause tremendous conflict in the preservation community. In 1982, the building was repurposed and incorporated into a sports center which became the Asphalt Green Aquacenter in 1993. (reference)

03/12/2005 13:31:03
Municipal Asphalt Plant
03/12/2005 13:32:51
Municipal Asphalt Plant
03/13/2008 15:48:06
Municipal Asphalt Plant

Next: Riverside Church