Church of the Intercession
550 West 155th Street (at Broadway)
New York, NY 10032
The Church of the Intercession was initially formed in 1846 in the hamlet of Carmansville (as this then-remote area of upper Manhattan was called at the time). The congregation's first building was a wood structure in Victorian Gothic style located at the corner of 154th Street and Old Tenth (Amsterdam) Avenue that was dedicated in 1847. In 1872 the congregation moved to a new stone building on the corner of 158th Street and Grand Boulevard (Broadway). Internecine disputes within the church exacerbated by the cost of the oversized new building caused the parish persistent financial problems that lasted into the 20th century. In 1906, negotiations with Wall Street Church and Trinity Church (which owned the cemetery across the street and were planning on building their own chapel there) resulted in the absorption of Intercession as an independent entity within the Trinity Church Corporation and a new building that would officially be a chapel of Trinity Church.
The result of that merger was this Gothic Revival building designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue which was dedicated in 1915. The building is a New York City Landmark and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. The Church of the Intercession separated amicably from Trinity and became an independent congregation again in 1976.
Next: City College