This house is the only surviving example of 18th century architecture in Flushing. It was built ca. 1785 by Charles Doughty, a Quaker farmer, and was named "Kingsland" by his son-in-law, Joseph King. King was an English sea captain who bought the house in 1801.
Kingsland has been relocated twice since it was built. Originally located at 155th Street, the house was first moved in 1923 to allow for the building of an apartment house. Landmarked in 1965, it was moved to this location in 1968 to Weeping Beech Park, once part of the Parsons Nursery. Kingsland was the first building in Queens to be declared a NYC landmark and is currently home to the Queens Historical Society.
Next: Weeping Beech Park