Paterson Museum Locomotives
The former Rogers Locomotive and Machine Works erecting shop building became home to the Paterson Museum, which hosts a pair of old locomotives. Both were build in Paterson, although neither came from the Rogers factory.
Panama Railroad Locomotive 299 was the last known locomotive used for the construction of the Panama Canal. It was built by American Locomotive at Cooke Works in 1906 and had a purchase price of $11,307. The 63-ton 2-6-0 (Mogul) engine (with a 49-ton tender car) had a tractive effort of 23,980 lbs at 10 MPH (640 HP or 476 kW) and could pull 3,317 tons on level track.
A smaller 0-4-0 locomotive was built by Cooke in 1911 as American Brake Shoe & Foundry Co. #1 and was retired in 1964 as Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern, Inc. #3.
Out of the crooked timber of humanity, nothing entirely straight can be built. (Immanuel Kant)