Hinchliffe Stadium

Paterson, NJ

40.91856, -74.18228

Hinchliffe Stadium sits to the north of the Great Falls behind School #5 in a fairly impoverished neighborhood sitting on the cliffs above the postindustrial fray of the city. It's a lovely but faded exemplar of Art Deco that was built in 1932 for $350,000 and enlarged in 1964. It's most notable role was as home to the New York Black Yankees and New York Cubans of the Negro Baseball League, and it hosted that league's championship in 1933.

The Paterson School District ultimately took over the stadium, but had to abandon it in 1997 when a sinkhole in the east end-zone became a safety issue. The district fell into state receivership, leaving no funds for any kind of maintenance, although in 2002, Friends of Hinchliffe Stadium was formed to help restore the facility. (reference)

07/30/2010 17:44:54
Hinchliffe Stadium behind School 5
07/30/2010 17:45:56
Hinchliffe Stadium - Northwest entrance
07/30/2010 17:46:08
Hinchliffe Stadium - Northwest entrance
07/30/2010 17:46:20
Northern wall
07/30/2010 17:46:28
North ticket window
07/30/2010 17:46:38
Sign over gate
07/30/2010 17:47:02
Overgrown entrance
07/30/2010 17:47:32
Maple Street side looking southeast
07/30/2010 17:47:48
West ticket window
07/30/2010 17:48:08
Javelin bas relief
07/30/2010 17:48:24
Press box
07/30/2010 17:48:46
Press box
07/30/2010 17:50:02
Shower stalls
07/30/2010 17:50:40
Toilet stalls
07/30/2010 17:51:08
Maple Street side looking northwest
07/30/2010 17:51:46
Eastern stands
07/30/2010 17:52:36
Path on south side to fence hole
07/30/2010 17:53:08
Fence hole
07/30/2010 17:53:28
View of full horseshoe
07/30/2010 17:53:46
Eastern stands
07/30/2010 17:54:12
Scoreboard
07/30/2010 17:54:46
Overgrown eastern corner
07/30/2010 17:55:56
Fiberglass benches
07/30/2010 17:56:08
Eastern stands - note peace sign
07/30/2010 17:56:14
Scoreboard and overgrown track