The Krug Brewery was founded in 1849 by German immigrant August Krug. When Krug died in 1859, his widow married Krug's bookkeeeper, Joseph Schlitz, and the firm was renamed to the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Company. Schlitz opened a new brewery at this spot north of Downtown in 1870, and when he passed away five years later the brewery was producing 50,000 barrels of beer per year.
Schlitz was acquired by Stroh Brewing Company in 1982. This facility was closed the following year and transferred to The Brewery Works, Inc., which redeveloped the property for office and residential use as Schlitz Park.