Trinity United Methodist Church
1820 Broadway Street
Denver, CO 80202
Architects: Frederick Albert Hale and Robert S. Roeschlaub
From the 1948 Colorado Historical Society plaque:
Probably the first religious service in what is now Denver was led by George W. Fisher, Methodist lay preacher, November 21 1858 in a log cabin at 11th and Wewatta Sts. The first church in the city was founded Aug. 2, 1859 as the Auraria and Denver City Mission by Methodist missionaries, Rev. Wiliam H. Goode and Rev. Jacob Adriance, with the latter as pastor. A union sunday school, the first in Colorado, was organized Nov. 6, 1859 with the Rev. Adriance as superintendent. By June 10, 1860 the Methodists had their own school. The church was host to the first annual Methodist conference in Colorado. Convened July 10, 1863 by Bishop E.R. Ames, which authorized the Denver Seminary, now the University of Denver.
On July 22 the society incorporated as the first M.E. Church. Services were held in various temporary quarters until 1865 when a church was built at 14th and Lawrence Sts. In 1872 the society was called The Lawrence St. M.E. Church, led by Rev. Henry A. Buchtel and renamed Trinity M.E. Church. It moved to 18th and Broadway in 1888, and has been known as Trinity Methodist Church since Methodist union in 1939. This, the first church organization in Denver, has had a notable part in the city's religious and community life.
Democracy is alot like getting old. It's not very pleasant, but it beats the alternative.