Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception
Architect Leon Coquard of Detroit designed this cathedral in French Gothic style and ground was broken in 1902, although financing problems delayed the laying of the cornerstone until 1906. The twin 210 foot spires were capped in 1911. The exterior of the structure is made up of limestone from Indiana and granite from Gunnison, Colorado. The altar, statuary, and bishop's chair are all made of marble imported from Carrara, Italy. The seventy-five stained glass windows came from the F.X. Zetter's Royal Bavarian Institute of Munich. The total cost to build the Cathedral was approximately $500,000 and it was was consecrated in 1921.
Our greatest responsibility is to be good ancestors. (Jonas Salk)