Jane Addams' Hull-House Museum
Hull House was opened by Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr in 1889 to offer art and literary education to the residents of what was then a poor immigrant neighborhood in the West Loop. By 1911 the facility had grown into a 13-building settlement house and was the first of numerous such facilities throughout the country. The organization was relocated in 1963 when the neighborhood was demolished for the University of Illinois Chicago campus.
The Hull House Museum building was originally an Italianate mansion built by developer Charles Hull in 1856. It and the 1905 dining hall were spared in the University development and a 1967 renovation of the mansion for museum purposes restored it to its 1856 appearance. However, the removal of Addams' third floor addition and replacement of the exterior brick made it an architectural anachronism that bore little resemblence to the facility as it appeared during days as the settlement house headquarters.
Separately from the museum (which is run by the university), the Hull House Association continued in operation as a service organization until 27 January 2012.
The most beautiful makeup for a woman is passion. But cosmetics are easier to buy. (Yves Saint Laurent)